Tuesday, May 13, 2014

White Lies And Black Guys



One Saturday afternoon, my phone buzzed with a text from an un-identified phone number. He asked who I was, which I always think is a silly thing to do. Why are you contacting me if you don't know who I am? Did you just make up numbers to see whom you'd find?

He told me his name- which I have already forgotten- and said he had my number in his new phone without a name. We chatted for a bit and I found out that he was single, my age, and had just moved back to Omaha! 

I had an inkling that this was a man I'd met once in a foam pit at a dance party. I'd given my number to him, but we never ended up going out after that so I had deleted him from my contacts. 

Well, after chatting, we exchanged selfies. He was not the man I danced with in foam. He was not a good or even ok looking man. I know this sounds shallow, but there was no possible way I could be attracted to this man! I wracked my brain for an easy let down when he asked if I was open to going on a date. 

Rather than tell him how horribly unattractive I found him, I decided to tell him that I only date Black guys. He can't be upset if he's White and I'm into Black guys, right? And this was loosely the truth as I'd been dating mostly Black guys lately-not purposely or exclusively, but just because it happened that way. 

Well, this all went an even uglier direction after that. He assumed that I had that preference based on the stereotype of...well, what Black men have to, uh, offer. He insisted that he had sizable offerings, as well. And he made more statements about wanting to prove himself to me. Ugh! My white lie had opened a can of worms that just kept going and going. While I've never been proven wrong about certain stereotypes, I'm also not instigating a broad-based research forum on the topic. I stated one last time that I was not interested, and I ignored his subsequent messages. 

I still don't know how this man ended up with my number because I'm positive I've never met him. Maybe I should make up numbers and see who I find...

Moral of today's story: Don't use a lie - even a white lie - to cover up an uglier truth. Lies weave a tangled web no matter how small they start. 

1 comment: