Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mama's Boy

Ladies, we've all heard the advice of choosing a man based on how he treats his mother. Supposedly, how he treats her is indicative of how he'll treat you. Perhaps there can be some indication of his kindness or respect, but do you really want to be treated like his mother? Did mama raise a man who knows how to appreciate a woman? Or did mama raise a man who needs a woman to cook and clean for him?

On my first date with "Mama's Boy," we went out to an Italian restaurant for dinner. I watched him walk as the hostess led us to the table, noting that he had neither a limp nor a tiny, deformed hand. Good signs so far! 

(If that comment confuses you, please read the posts on Tiny Hand and Señor Gimpy) 

After we had ordered our drinks, Mama's Boy's phone rang. He said that it was his mom and he turned and answered it right away. He chatted with his mother for several minutes, but since he spoke French when he spoke with his family I had no idea of what they were speaking. His tone sounded casual and conversational so I didn't think it was an emergency. 

When he got off the phone, I asked him if everything was alright. He told me that he talks with his parents at least a couple times every day. I didn't know what to think. I've never been on a date that was interrupted by a conversation with the man's mother. 

 A few dates later, I actually told him that it was odd and a little rude to answer his phone on our date. He apologized and tried not to take calls when he was with me. Although, he didn't seem to think I would notice if he texted instead when he was with me. It was only odd the times when he had one hand on me and one hand texting his brother. About what? No idea! 

Mama's Boy and I dated for a few months. Compared to some of the other winners I had gone out with, this was a mostly positive relationship, but he quickly became very selfish. 

He usually said he was too tired to drive across town to see me and insisted I'd come see him (never mind if I was tired). On my way to see him once, he called and asked if I was hungry. I said I could probably eat something. For a moment I thought it was sweet of him to consider if I was hungry, but then he said, "good. Will you pick up something for me to eat, too?" 
 
Now, I like to cook and I also think that cooking together can be very romantic. He started suggesting that we cook meals together, but they ended up with me in the kitchen and him waiting to be fed. 

Sometimes after I worked my two jobs I had at the time, he would ask me to make things for him. One such night, I told him that it would take me an hour to make that dish and it was already late. By that I meant that I wasn't going to make it, but he waited an hour at home, then called to ask if the food was done. 

In the end, there were a lot of reasons that Mama's Boy and I didn't work out. Actually, his mother was never a real factor. All of my issues with him stemmed from his selfishness and stubbornness. Although, now that I think about it, maybe his mother could have taught him better manners. 

Moral of today's story: Did mama raise him to want a girlfriend or a maid? Learn the difference between someone who appreciates what you do for him and someone who expects you to do things for him.


(I don't actually do housework in my French Maid's uniform)

No comments:

Post a Comment