Sunday, May 11, 2014

Smell my ball, it's pineapple scented!

Sometimes it takes time to know if someone is right for you to date. Other times, the signs could not be anymore clear. For example, when "J" asked me,  on our first date, to smell his ball because it was pineapple scented, I knew things were not going to work out. Oh, did I mention it was his bowling ball? 

Yes, J was an avid bowler, truck enthusiast, and gym rat. He was sweet as could be, but dull as a box of rocks. He really only talked about trucks, bowling, and lifting weights. 
When he picked me up in his big pickup truck, he had muscle building supplements in all the cup-holders of the truck. He explained why each one was truly "awesome" and how they inflated your muscles so you could look really ripped in about 30 minutes. He was good looking, and I appreciated the view! But I felt like the female equivalent of this would have been if I talked about wearing a push-up bra and how it added a full cup size in just 2 minutes! Or maybe if I had rattled on about an eating disorder- "I don't really eat my food. I just chew it and spit it out. It's awesome!" 

I tried to overlook this vain line of conversation, thinking maybe it was just nervous prattling. We arrived at the bowling alley where he pulled out three bags of equipment and showed me all his balls- well, the ones for bowling anyway. He explained that he had special polishes for his balls and then asked me to smell his balls. One smelled like pineapple, another like peppermint. 

After bowling, he drove me to a car dealership- that was closed for the day- so we could look at a truck he thought was cool. We had to drive across town to see it, and he talked the entire time about  the different colors the truck came in. 

I don't actually remember if I went on a second date with J. It's possible I might have gone and dozed off in the middle of it. I do remember eventually telling him that we just didn't have enough in common to keep dating. 

Sometimes, I tell myself that if I find someone who is sweet and respectful that I can settle for "good enough." J was really sweet and respected me- and he had some nice looking muscles, but I would've spent my life trying to stay awake through his stories. 

Moral of today's story: Must find brains and brawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment