Monday, May 26, 2014

Can I get yo digits, baby?

One of my guy friends recently told me that in his experience, women will give their numbers out to anybody. I wanted to disagree with him, but he's absolutely right. We women have been trained to be polite and have no idea how to say no when we're put on the spot. 

This was the case when I misguidedly gave my number to a carnival worker - who upon second glance also seemed to be missing some teeth. (Sometimes, stereotypes exist for a reason!) 

One of my favorite annual traditions with my friends is celebrating the cinco de mayo festival. There was some impromptu salsa dancing in the streets when the mariachi bands were playing, and magically, some boys appeared to dance with us girls. 

Cinco de Mike was one of those dancing boys. He asked me if I liked to go dancing, and I told him that I do like to go salsa dancing with my friends. So when he asked for my number to go dancing, I gave it to him and said we could all go dancing sometime. 

I thought that I had made a good choice by indicating that I only wanted to go dancing as a group and that this was not a number for any other reason. This way I didn't have to say no, and I wasn't saying I was interested. 

Boy, was that a stupid thought! Ladies, when you give your number to a man he is going to use it, and he is going to use it a lot. 

He kept trying to get to know me through vey boring text conversations over the next few weeks. This ended up being another situation where I eventually asked him to stop texting me. It turns out that I don't have much in common with carnival workers, and I quickly grew bored of his mis-spelled and dull conversations. 

Moral Of Today's Story: If you don't actually say "no," he hears "yes." And men, if you want something, ask. We'll probably say yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment