Sunday, May 11, 2014

Married but dating

At every bridal shower I've ever attended, there's always at least one wise, experienced, married lady who gives the advice to "keep going on dates after you're married." I always thought it sounded like good advice to keep the romance alive. And I'm pretty sure the advice meant for the husband and wife to go on dates with each other, but perhaps some couples have taken it another direction. 

The time I unwittingly dated a married man, I was shocked and mortified to realize I had become the "other woman." It only lasted a few weeks before his wife and I both discovered his betrayal. After that experience, I became more cautious to be sure that I would not be anybody else's mistress. 

Lately, the trend has grown more disturbing as it seems married people have stopped keeping secrets about infidelity altogether. I've been propositioned to join couples as their, shall we say, "third party." And apparently "married but in an open relationship" has become a normal status on online dating sites. At least they're letting people know up front so I can respond that I DO NOT DATE MARRIED MEN - Not when I'm aware of it anyway. 

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I really thought that the point of getting married was that you had found "the one." Aren't you finally done playing the game? Isn't marriage when you can let yourself go because someone's going to love you til death do you part? 

Perhaps these people are remembering dating as more glamorous than it was.  Dating can be a lot of fun, but it can also be completely awful! Although, if you know you're already married, maybe it takes some pressure off and you wouldn't care if you had some sucky dates in the mix. 

Maybe this should be my new goal. To marry someone mediocre so I can date on the side without any expectations. Theoretically, I could talk myself into this plan, but I'm an old soul. I still want to find just one soul-mate. I don't want to let myself go, and I do want to keep dating after marriage- just with my husband. So today's moral of the story is: married men need not apply! 

No comments:

Post a Comment