Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Real Non-Date

I've mentioned the non-date phenomenon before (see Christians Who Mingle) and how some people use that term basically for fear of rejection after a real date. Well, if you're really on a non-date, you simply think -and call it- that you're hanging out. Nosy Nellies who are observing may want to put labels on things so maybe that's where the "non-date" originated. 

Recently, I attended a wedding unaccompanied. I knew I would be hanging out with some single friends in the bridal party at the reception so I didn't worry about bringing someone for the sake of bringing someone. 

One of my guy friends who was unattached at that time was also there so we mingled together and we were seated at the same table. Suddenly strangers and vaguely familiar acquaintances wanted to know how long we'd been together. Where did we meet? Someone I just met told me that my friend and I would have beautiful red-headed children together! That's not too personal at all! And people I'd met several times before but had forgotten me now wanted to introduce themselves to me because apparently now I was important! (Clearly my friend is much more memorable to this crowd than I was) 

Later in the evening I was talking to a few friends about a date I had scheduled in a couple days. I could see the Nosy Nellies looking perplexed as they eavesdropped. They must've wondered if I was just so liberated that I feel at ease talking to all my boyfriends about my other boyfriends!
Don't be silly. My boyfriends don't know about each other unless they ask. 

This situation reminded me of my freshman year in college when I had a guy friend in all the same classes as me. We got to be good friends, which was nice since I would have had to see him all day anyway. And truthfully, I did have a huge crush on him, but nothing ever happened. The strange thing was that people were always asking me what was going on between us. "Are you dating? Is he your boyfriend? You're always with that tall guy. Is he your brother or your boyfriend?" I guess that person thought there were only two options for male roles. 

I would have expected my friends to be nosy about our status, but not strangers on the sidewalk. 

Moral Of Today's Story: If you don't know someone, then you probably don't need to ask about their relationship status. Especially mine because my life is pretty much just an open blog now. Seriously though, it comes across like you're a creepy stranger when you walk up to someone and start asking personal questions without so much as a "how do you do."


No comments:

Post a Comment