Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Schrödinger's Text


In 1935, Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger proposed a thought paradox in which a cat is placed in a box with poisonous gas (or if you use Albert Einstein's suggestion, a keg of gunpowder). Until you open the box, the cat is both dead and alive. You are living in a mental state of duality even though you know it's only one or the other as a possible outcome. The cat can't really be dead and alive, but until you know for sure you have a duality.

I have never put a cat in a box with poison or gunpowder, but I have experienced a duality of thought. Am I mad? Or am I worried? Right now, I'm both!

When a certain man has been known to get very busy with work or other important things, sometimes he doesn't respond to phone calls or texts immediately. That's cool. I understand. However, said man always responds or reaches out within a reasonable amount of time - let's say within a few hours.

Now that it's been over 24 hours, I don't know if I should be worried that something terrible happened like the random shooting I heard about on the news, meaning he could be injured and lying in a hospital bed right now! Or slightly more mild, perhaps meetings went terribly at work and he's been up working all night! Or maybe his phone was stolen and he can't get a hold of me! Note to self:  must refrain from sending selfies until I confirm that a stranger does not have his phone...

On the other hand, in the 24 hours he's been without contact with me he could have met some other girl and decided he never wants to speak to me again! Maybe he just doesn't value me and therefore feels no need to respond to me - not even to let me know he's ok! Rude! Worst of all, perhaps he's been lying to me all along and he's married! He's probably canoodling with his wife right now!

Moral Of Today's Story:  ASSUME THE BEST! The cat could be dead. The cat could be alive. Try not to over-react until you know which reaction is appropriate. 
I'm hoping to open a text or receive a call soon that tells me which emotion is correct: mad or worried! But until then, I am just going to assume the best. Maybe I can put a cat in a box to distract myself...






No comments:

Post a Comment